Wednesday, March 16, 2011

It rained all day today.  It was the first time I've seen it do that here.  We went to the Tempietto.  "The Jewel of the Renaissance."  Let me describe it.  We had hiked up a huge hill, over ancient, slick steps - rain drizzling down on us the whole time.  I had no idea where we were going.  We turned a corner at the top and then we were in a courtyard and there it was: Bramante's masterpiece.  The rain had let up a little.  It stood there looking just like it did in all those slides, pictures, and drawings I have seen.  It occurred to me that I should be happy to be lucky enough to be there.  And I was.  Even with the rain and the walk.

We can only learn through experience.  The only way I would have known how the granite columns encircling the drum of the Tempietto felt was to feel them.  There was a grated hole in the middle of the first floor that looked down into the martyrium of Saint Peter.  I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't of stood on it.

I think I'm finally understanding the worth of studying here.  Sure, it's nice to see the Tempietto, but there is more going on.  In every building we visit, there are years of study, knowledge, and work manifested.  While I will never design another Tempietto, I take the experience and lessons it gives me home.  The ideas behind the material things.  I learned today the true meaning of precedence.  

No comments:

Post a Comment