Sunday, April 10, 2011

There's something that's come up that I'd like to address.  Reading this blog, you could notice an apparent lack of content that has anything to do with architecture.  You might wonder what I've been doing writing about things like my feelings and my religion.  I'll tell you.  At first, it was because I didn't really know what else to write.  I was told I had to blog, to document my experience here, so I did.  I didn't plan for it to come out the way it did, at least at first.  And when you notice that these posts don't have anything to do with architecture, I'll tell you to take a closer look.  If there's one thing I've learned in school and especially here, it's that architecture is everything.  Meaning, it has a hand in every aspect of life.  From the time the cavemen marked a piece of ground with significance by lighting a fire, architecture has been an integral part of humanity.  Architecture is derived directly from society and its needs, fears, hopes, and dreams.  I've been struggling with my faith here in Rome.  This struggle affects my designs.  Maybe not directly, but surely indirectly.  If something in my life isn't going right, that emotion seeps into what I do in studio.  Maybe I need to come to terms with God to move on with my architectural career.  All of this factors back into architecture.  I document my experiences as I experience them.  So if I feel homesick or frustrated I will try to document it accordingly.  I think this way is the most relevant form of documenting architecture that exists.  Rome is not a vacation.  It is a learning experience.  

I'm not trying to ignore or mock the grading requirements set down for this blog.  I realize that according to my definition, this blog could have anything on it and still be about architecture.  I don't believe that I have posted "just anything."  I'm merely stating my opinion.  But I suppose no one will believe that.         

No comments:

Post a Comment