Friday, February 11, 2011

Reading this blog, someone might wonder about the title.  The dream that is Rome.  And I can say that my time here so far has been like a dream.  And sometimes it's like a nightmare.  But a nightmare's still a dream.  A lot of the negative aspects make it on this blog.  But my experience here hasn't been negative, it's been positive, its been surreal, dreamlike.  I catch myself realizing this at times.  

Today I was sitting at our common room dinner table, eating a pita bread sandwich that I made from groceries I had just purchased.  I was looking out our window, which I often do, at the adjacent building.  Then I thought to myself: "I just went down the street and bought groceries in Italy.  With no trouble.  Absolutely no hassle.  In a country where I don't even speak the language.  And now I'm sitting here eating a delicious sandwich that I made in Italy."  I like to ask the other people here this question: do you ever just stop and wonder how you got here?  I don't know how I did, but that's the thing.  It's like a dream.  This isn't real life.  I can't just get up, get in my car, drive to McDonald's and get some McNuggets.  I can't go to the movies and understand them.  

But thinking of what I can't do makes me realize the things I can do.  I can walk to Colosseum.  I can eat gelato in front of the Pantheon.  I can do so much it's painful. 

Then I take the thoughts a step up.  If I can do so much, mankind must be able to do more.  And if mankind can do so much, why do we even know the meaning of the words murder, rape, or suicide?  America is at war.  We're over there, killing needlessly.  People are murdered every day.  Lives snuffed out just like that.  What would happen if we put the money towards things like feeding Africa, curing cancer, or eliminating homelessness?  I know this sounds like one of those infomercials asking for money you see on T.V. all the time.  Or it could be a bad homily from a fat priest who "cares" about starving children about as much as he cares about keeping his homilies relevant to his parish.  Or it could be some billionaire celebrity, gushing about how Africa needs our help, then stepping into her Rolls Royce and snorting cocaine.  You always find yourself thinking: "yeah right, you can change the world."  

Regardless of where it comes from, the message is true.  The world is a dark place.  For me, Rome is the light.  It's helping me realize that there actually is a problem with the world.  It's preparing me to fight this abyss through architecture and design.  I learn so much every day.  Listening to Eric, Marina, and my fellow classmates I feel I am changing for the better.  I always saw myself as a good guy.  I'm figuring out what I need to do to make this vision a reality.           

No comments:

Post a Comment